While I was writing my last post a few minutes ago, I started thinking about this and couldn't get it off my mind.
When I was younger I was quite liberal in my views. If the things someone else did had no negative impact on me, then I was completely unconcerned with their actions. "Live and let live" was my motto. It worked well for me, much to the horror of my family. They were scared to death that my bi-sexual roommate was going to convert me. Believe me, she tried.
However, as I got older I started to become quite conservative. I even passed up my parents and went to the opposite extreme. I was never mean to anyone who disagreed with my views, but I definitely thought they were wrong and I was right. Self-righteious, I know.
Then in the last year or so the most amazing thing has happened. I have started leaning to the liberal side again.
What has caused this huge change in my point of view? Well, for one thing I have been wrestling with many religious issues for some time now and can't seem to find answers that fit. Religion was the biggest catalyst that caused me to become so conservative and rigid in the first place (plus getting older and having kids). Also, a gay family member killed himself recently. The burden of being "abnormal" just became too much to deal with.
What we all want is for the world to be a better place - for our kids, and even for ourselves while we are in it. I am starting to believe that God is not as strict and mean as people want to pretend. I know it doesn't say that in the Bible, but there are so many contradictory things in the Bible that it becomes a moot point.
As for myself, if I hadn't been raised in church I would most likely be an athiest right now. My struggle for answers has been long and tedious.
However, I can't let go of the fact that we came from somewhere and everything must have a beginning. We all know about the Big Bang Theory, but my theory is that someone had to cause the Bang. But I digress.....
I remember liking Joy Behar when she did a column in one of the ladies' magazines a few years ago. Then I saw her on The View and I immediately detested her. My opinion was that people like her were the reason this country was going downhill. I could not stand to listen to anyone spout the things she was saying.
But here I am today.....becoming liberal once again. I doubt I will ever become an extreme liberal, or that I will agree with a lot of what Joy Behar says. But I am here and ever evolving, and that's what counts.
The one big message in the Bible is that we should all love each other, but that's pretty hard to do when you are so busy judging all the time, don't you think?
No comments:
Post a Comment