Thursday, February 3, 2011

Choices

So I want to talk today about choices. It seems so that some of our most important choices in life must be made when we are young and immature.

Choices are those horrible little things that can make or break your whole entire life. In just one tiny second, you change the course of your life in ways that can be glorious or down right scary.

When we are young whippersnappers (don't you just love that word?), most of us don't really know who we are yet. So when we have to pick career paths and spouses, we are almost stabbing in the dark at times.

Think about this: Most people would not marry the same person at age 35 that they would marry at age 25. It just gets worse by the decade. And why do you think so many older people are going back to college to change career fields?

It is rampant. I believe one of the biggest reasons that people fall into the pit of the "mid-life" crisis is because they made bad choices early in life. Suddenly, they realize their life is half over and they have not lived in a way that was fulfilling for them. Then they are afraid to spend the rest of their life in the exact same way.

So here's the really bad thing about it. I know several people who are younger than me and just starting out in life. I have offered my advice on making solid choices whenever people have consulted me, but it never seems to do any good. I try to put my best spin on it, try to make them see things from a different perspective. But to no avail.

It seems humankind is doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over in every single generation.

I remember when I was younger and had the same outlook on life as any other teenager. I was invincible, nothing bad would ever happen to me, I would never get old, and I my life would miraculously fold out before me and it would be magnificent.

Reality check: husband, kids, and mortgage. School, soccer practice,  and PTO.

Nice, huh?

It's the American Dream, and we are all living it. And we will continue to do it, even if it sucks the life out of us, because we must.

No comments:

Post a Comment