Thursday, February 10, 2011

Is It So Wrong To Have a Bad Attitude?

Do you ever get in a bad, horrible, I-don't-give-a-damn mood? Come on, don't lie. Tell the truth (we will discuss whether it's wrong to lie in another post).

Society says we are all supposed to be upbeat and happy all the time and roll with whatever comes our way. And we have a "bad attitude" if we do not meet that criteria, but really the only thing I can see wrong with it is pushing your bad mood onto someone else, right?

As for me, I usually go into my little bubble when I am feeling negative (and/or mean) so I don't really bother anyone else. And the people who would complain about me being so quiet and distant are the ones who can't be pleased no matter what you do.

When I married my husband I woke up mad at the world basically every morning. I had done that every day for years. That was just me. I like everthing and everyone better after I had been up for awhile. My husband, on the other hand, was pertetually happy. EVERY SECOND OF EVERY DAY! It was so annoying it made me want to scream! That just added to my bad mood, of course. The only thing worse than waking up in a bad mood is having someone in a good mood up in your face.

So what I am trying to say really is that I enjoy my bad moods sometimes. It allows me some space from other people, which I enjoy immensely. And although I do not purposefully pick arguements with my husband, I sometimes enjoy the distance and lack of expectations that comes afterward. I know, you are thinking that I am a real witch right about now, but after a few years of trying to be the "perfect" wife and mother I finally just decided to be human. I gave myself permission to do that. And I am giving you permission right now too, if you need it.

I finally understand that thing about responsibility crushing you. I am there.

If you want to discuss faults, then I can point out more about myself than anyone else. If we are truthful, all of us really can because we all have things in our heads that we would never say out loud - not even to our best friends. There is a bad attitude deep down inside all of us, just waiting to get out. And I think it is unhealthy to hold it all in, like anger. In fact, anger and bad attitudes are completely interrelated. You can have one without the other, but not for long.

So if you have a bad attitude, you are not alone. I am right here rooting for you. If you have any words of wisdom, please share them below. I think we could all use them.

Okay, enough ranting for one day. I could actually go on for pages, but I will spare you the drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment