Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Sweetest Lie (All Relationships Have One)

Took my husband to the airport this morning so he could fly off to another country and make us some more money. He enjoys making us money, though not flying to other countries so much.

It's his job, you see. To take care of the kids and me. And it makes his chest swell out really big when he thinks he is doing it well. It makes him feel needed as well as productive.

I often make the joke that he is good for more than just changing light bulbs and killing spiders. He laughs too, but not as hard as me.

He supports my various interests, which right now happens to be internet marketing. So I really can't complain. I stay home with the kids (some days I DO complain about that), and he let's me run with whatever tickles my fancy.

However, part of this stems from the fact that fresh out of college I turned down the various offers of headhunters who wanted to place me with several different companies in other states. Moving was not a possibility as far as my husband was concerned because he was HAPPY with HIS JOB. Discussion closed.

Jobs in my field were hard to come by in the area where we live, so guess who had to look for jobs in other fields? After trying several fields that just didn't do it for me, I finally went back to school and got a graduate degree in yet another field that I didn't really enjoy either. Turns out he had some opinions about what I did down that path as well.......

He also had opinions about the town we lived in, the church we went to, the piece of property he was willing to live on.........and since he had such difficulty with change I tried to be unselfish about things.

Now, am I blaming him? Yes and no. I allowed my decisions to be made for me, and I allowed him the power to make me feel guilty if I didn't go along. (I have spent my whole adult life trying NOT to be the wicked witch that is my mother.)

(Uh, my mother.....)

So while he tries to pretend that he showers me in decadence by catering to my every whim, we both know the truth.

Hubby has been a naughty, selfish boy. And now he's trying to make himself feel better about it.

I titled this post "The Sweetest Lie" partly because that's what this is all about - the lie we both know exists. And because it's the name of a Goo Goo Dolls song that I love.

But in the end, I stay home with my kids, I have a new house, I drive a nice car.....I guess being fulfilled with my work is just too much to ask for on top of everything else.

However, I am really digging the internet marketing these days. It has turned into a huge challege, and I am up for that challenge. The learning curve is quite steep, and I am mostly self-taught. I probably would not be doing this if I had some high-profile job that I originally craved right out of college.

So I should thank him for being so selfish, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment