Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Habitual Liars (And What You Can Get Away With If You Are Pretty)

There are these people out there in the world who apparently think that lying is okay. In fact, some of them appear to think it is a sport, and a competitive one at that.

You know the people I am talking about. They will look you straight in the eye and tell you a lie for absolutely no reason other than the thrill of it. Then they will spin another lie to back up the first one.

One of my friends was just telling me earlier today about problems with her boyfriend who is a habitual liar. Living with someone like that just tires you out after a while. It takes a lot of energy to navigate the waves of lies.

My first husband was a real dandy. If there had been an Olympic competition for lying he would have won it hands down. The best part was that his mom was in complete denial of his problem. Oh, she knew what a liar he was but frequently spouted that "He doesn't lie to his mama!" with so much conviction that she must have believed it on some level. I would just smile cuz whatever lie he had told her five minutes before was usually a good one.

The other thing is that liars always want someone to back up their story. My ex would constantly put me on the spot  by asking me to back up his wild stories. It was very difficult for me since I have never made a habit of lying and had to find many creative ways of wiggling out of those situations.

By the time we were ready for a divorce his lying was to the point of being laughably ridiculous. He couldn't honestly think ANYONE believed those stories! But he kept spinning them.

I have often wondered about the pitiful girls who got him after me and what they probably had to put up with. But they probably did it with a smile.....he does look like a Greek god, after all. At least he DID. I haven't seen him or spoken to him in years. Hmm...wonder if he still looks that pretty (and if girls are still putting up with his crap).

People always forgave him because they wanted to be his friend. I also forgave him for years because I wanted to be his wife, despite the fact I couldn't believe a word that ever came out of his mouth.

I believe it's true that pretty people get further in life because people "like" them better and are attracted to them on many different levels (not just romantic).

I personally like to put my head on a pillow at night with a clear conscious. But that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment