Saturday, January 22, 2011

Why Are We So Unselfish? And Aren't We All Tired of Being Such Wimps?

So birthday dinner was nice last night, but it was over way too soon. Ahhhhhhh....all good things must come to an end. I am sitting here listening to Maroon 5, which makes me think of something.

Back in the summer my husband and I had tickets to see Train. We had purchased these a couple months before the concert and we were completely psyched to be going....okay I was totally psyched to be going. He was just following me where I was going (like he always does).

So then it turned out that Maroon 5 were going to be in town the night before the Train concert. Now, we were having to travel to the Train concert, so that meant we would already be away from our children for one evening. After some debate, we decided not to buy tickets for the Maroon 5 concert because we didn't want to leave the kids two nights in a row.

While eating lunch earlier today we were reflecting on what a bad call that was and how we would do that differently now. We basically spend our lives devoted to the kids and it wouldn't have killed them if we had left them with some family for two evenings in a row. In fact, they would have loved it. But for some reason we felt it would make us bad parents to leave them for two evenings, when it probably would have de-stressed us and made us better parents.

I am so tired of being so unselfish about EVERYTHING! By the time I do everything for everybody, there is nothing left for me. I have suddenly started taking time and resources for myself....and you know what? It feels good.

Sometimes I just sit on the couch and refuse to do things that need to be done. Either my husband will do it or it will still be waiting when I get up. The world will not end either way. I have stopped being a wimp and started carving out my own space again. I have even started having girls' night out again. Remember those?

No comments:

Post a Comment