Friday, January 21, 2011

My Initial Complaints (Fueled By Yet Another Stinking Birthday)!

So I am sitting here on my birthday reflecting on how I cannot even get in a little blogging time (on another blog) when it occurs to me that if I hear "he hit me" one more time my head will literally explode!

I love my boys, don't get me wrong, but they alternate between loving each other TO DEATH and just plain trying to kill each other. As an only child and a girl, I just don't understand the finer nuances between two little boys. I suppose the peeing contest and sibling rivalry start even before they are old enough to attend school.

Their father (my other child) has taught them everything they know, unfortunately, because he knows a lot. Our house is still new and the walls have actually been repainted once already, but I see another coat in the near future due to the constant contact of various toys that are flying through the air.

(*&*&^%^&%^&%*&^(*&(*(!!!!!) That's me saying the many bad words that are swimming around in my head but can't say out loud because they only listen when I say non-repeatable things (which gives them yet another way to misbehave).

Many of my girlfriends have gone through this "Oh my God, my life is half over and this is as good as it's going to get?" thing lately. I find that it's often brought on by a birthday (thus my urge to start this blog today).

One of the worst things is when you wake up one morning and realize that you are uninteresting and boring. You even bore yourself. That's what happened to me a while back. I suddenly realized that I no longer had a life. I had become so busy tying to be Supermom that I had turned into this strange person I didn't know.

My A-type personality demands that I do everything all the way or not at all. So when I became a mother I decided it was time to be an "adult" and thereby took on many additional responsibilities. This included:
  • teaching Sunday school at church
  • teaching children's church
  • joining and heading committees at church
  • joining and heading committees within the community
  • enrolling my preschoolers in various activities within the community
  • signing my preschoolers up for sports
  • becoming a room mom when my oldest started kindergarten and being first on list for PTO
  • being the supermom who brings the best goodies to functions and plans the best parties
All this was in addition to the usual activities of a stay at home mom and the responsibilities of maintaining a couple money making endeavors that we run from home. As you can guess, the above actions made me the go to person for all activities that required lots of work but paid nothing. Yeah....great for me! Especially since I simply did not know how to say "no". (Oh yeah, we were also building a house and remodeling some of our rental properties.)

Add to this the fact that I felt the need to fashion our whole lives to the new template of "parents" and it's a recipe for disaster. We had already cut out things like rated R movies and things like that because of our religious beliefs (well, I did, and since I am the gatekeeper in our family...).

However, after the birth of our children it was time to cut even more things. Out went more music, television, movies, computer items, etc. Pretty soon there was nothing left to do except stare at the walls or yell at the kids. I have to say staring at the walls is considerably more fun (and a lot quieter). Oh yeah....I forgot about working on committees and kid parties.

I could probably complain for the rest of the night, but my husband is home and about to take me out for a birthday dinner. Since it will be just the two of us and my in-laws are keeping the kids I have high expectations. I won't be cutting up anyone else's food or taking anybody to the potty (no matter how much my husband begs), so I might splurge on calories and have dessert.

I would like to tell you that this blog is for helping mothers cope with the stresses of motherhood in this modern world. But it's not. It's for good, old-fashioned COMPLAINING!!!

Feel free to contribute.....you will not be judged here.

No comments:

Post a Comment